Tuesday, November 25, 2008

For the Love of Farley

Many of you have met my dog Farley or heard me talk about her over the years. My sister Tracy brought her home the summer after my freshman year of high school and she was quite truly the size of my hand. We thought she would stay super tiny, like a chihuahua or a miniature doberman, but she grew into her big paws and ended up as tall, skinny, and goofy as the rest of the Peterson family. Her best feature was her ears. They were big and stuck straight up, and they always reflected what sort of mood she was in or what she wanted from you. Sometimes, she would get this serious look on her face and her ears would flatten out like airplane wings. We would always joke that it looked like she was coming in for a landing.


I can barely type the words without tearing up, but she passed away last Friday. She was fifteen years old and even though I knew it was bound to happen soon, that never makes it any easier. Half my life was spent with that dog, and I remember many nights when she was such a great comfort to me when I was sad or lonely. Both my parents were with her at the end, and I am thankful for that. Though, I wish I could have been there to say my goodbye. With the news of her passing, I have felt my first bout of homesickness here in Thailand. It's strange how something like this can make me wonder what the hell I am doing here, on the other side of the world, away from all the people that I love.

However, as most of you know, I am a survivor of sorts. I know this will pass and I will be less emotional about it as days go by. I am still very happy to be here, getting to experience all that I have so far. I really wouldn't change a thing. Feeling sad is one one of those things that always made me feel so alive, and as some of you know I sometimes embrace crying wholeheartedly. Having said that, I believe that it is good for me to experience emotions like this in Thailand.

Farley, you always were my baby puppy and I will miss you.

I promise that the next post will be more upbeat!

1 comment:

jadev8 said...

Kel,
I feel your pain. Mike put Yukon down on the same day. Linked Spirits...spooky!